Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Being Single

While I do date occasionally, for all intents and purposes I am single and have been for quite some time now. My friends often ask me how I handle being single without getting too lonely, and I figured I would share my response with you.

I admit after being in a long-term committed relationship, it was tough being single at first. I realized the thing that helped the most was staying active. Rather than sitting at home by yourself, it is best to get out there and stay busy. Don’t be afraid to do the things you love alone, or invite a friend or family member along if you want to. It is also helpful to get active in any hobbies you might have, or have had in the past. This is also a great time to try new hobbies or activities that you might have always wanted to try too. As a bonus, doing this is also a great way to meet new people!

In addition to staying active, it also helps to accept that it is ok to be single. While having someone to share your life with is a wonderful experience, it by no means should be a requirement for happiness. Being single does not mean you are worthless, unattractive, unwanted, or any other negative thought that might fill you head. You have to push those thoughts aside and focus on yourself, and your own happiness as a single.

My next recommendation is to spend some serious time reflecting and reinvesting in yourself. Focus on your positive qualities and what you have to offer. Reflect on the good parts of past relationships along with any lessons you have learned from the bad and use this as an opportunity for self-improvement. When you find aspects of your life that you would like to change or improve, take the time to reinvest in yourself and follow the steps to make it happen.

It is also important to never forget the power of friends and family. Spending time with friends and loved ones is always a great cure for loneliness. Whether it is a family dinner or a night out with friends, the time will fly by while you are out having fun. If you are not in a position to visit or hangout in person, sometimes even a simple phone call can pass the time and do wonders for your spirit.

The key to all of this is to have fun! Single or not, life is what we make of it. Never let some ideology stand in your way of happiness. Enjoy life and live it to the fullest. Embrace being single and just have fun! Just don’t be too surprised when you turn around and find your next loving relationship is staring you right in the face!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I often forget that my life, thus far, hasn't followed the so called "normal" track of my peers, but I've been through an exciting and fulfilling journey anyhow. I like how this post reminded me that my life IS what I make of it, and I will live it with abandon and curiosity for what's to come!

    Thanks Single Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed this post and thank you for taking the time to comment! It is easy to lose sight of things, but we must always remember life is what me make of it!

    ReplyDelete